Favorite - This is an all time favorite
We had a dish like this up in Tofino. You can substitute a fair bit for the pancakes. For example, you can use fresh coriander instead or with parsley, and you can use shallots if you don't have scallions. We've been adding 2 or 3 tablespoons of flour to make the pancakes bind better.
Salmon with Chick Pea Pancake
from the Wickininnish Inn in Tofino, BC
salmon filet or two
can or two of chick peas
4+ tbsp parsley
2 tsp ground cumin
1-2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 -1 tsp ginger
salt and pepper
1) Coarsely grind up the chick peas in the food processor. Use pulsing so they are kind of chunky.
2) Chop up the parsley, scallions and jalapenos, the last of these most finely and mix in with the chick peas.
3) Season the mix with cumin, curry powder,cinnamon, ginger, salt and pepper.
4) Heat olive oil in a fry pan and make the chick pea mix into pancakes, smushing them down into the pan with the spatula. Cook for perhaps 5 minutes each side, so that they get slightly browned. You can cook them longer, to taste. Remove and drain on paper towels.
5) Rub salmon with cumin, salt and pepper. Saute the salmon filet in a frying pan and serve pieces of the filet on top of the pancakes.